Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Pondicherry - A plan for a break

A long weekend this time prompted me to plan for a travel, a small but memorable one. I was thinking of places near to Bangalore but without a vehicle of my own I preferred to travel by Train. I could not plan for more than one night of travel so that I waste out time on sight-seeing. Initially my plan was towards some hill stations, but suddenly came to my mind the name Pondicherry.

Puducherry as known officially now, Pondicherry is a small coastal town near Chennai, South India. Pondicherry boasts of French history as the town remained a French Colony till 1954. Now this town along with some other places form a Union Terittory of India.

There is not much to see in Pondicherry as I know from internet, so I keep my expectations low. I plan for a Train Journey from Bangalore, a brief one day affair. Read Pondicherry in the morning visit as many places as I can and then pack back to Bangalore the same night by Train.

The Garib-Rath train from Bangalore seems to be a better option for me and I had an initial googling on places to visit. Out of which the prominent are:


  • Aurobindo Ashram
  • French Institute of Pondicherry
  • Bharti Park
  • Pondicherry Beach
  • Manakula Vinayagar Temple
  • Navagraha Temple (15 ft high Navagrahas) etc
  • Auroville city (maybe)
  • Auro Beach (Opposite to Auroville City)
  • Heritage Buildings (perhaps by walk)
  • French war memorial
  • Chunnambar Boat House
  • Botanical garden
  • Oustery Lake
  • Government Museum

I am not sure whether how much can I visit in one day, but I am not caring too much about it. Let me think that this plan happens, let it unfold its own way.

Will share my experiences and planning once I am back.

1 comment:

  1. Pondicherry:
    You can be reach by walk 1,2,3,4,5,9,10 and 14 within town limit, less than 1km Radius.

    Here you can get Rental bikes for Rs.150/-day or avail city tour from Tourism dept. to go all places in a day.

    karuna

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts